Total Pageviews

Friday, September 11, 2015

REQ: Note-taking Class Flipped

Over the weekend, please watch the following brief videos on note-taking so that you can try them on in Monday's class. To be ready, read Chapter 1 in your Language and Compsition Textbook (Shea) over the weekend. In your comments, share your responses to any/all of the videos, including the speaker and production values.

26 comments:

  1. I usually take outline notes, so it was interesting to see how many other methods there are to take notes. I thought the first video was very engaging and that the speaker did a nice job of expressing information without being boring. The Flow Method he showed seemed like it would be a useful tool, because you are literally taking the information and putting it into a way that your brain can easily read and understand. I also thought that it was helpful to see the girl in the second and fourth video put actual information into her tutorials of the notes. I like the Cornell method in the sense that you can go back and add questions as cues to study from, but I don’t like the summary section at the bottom, because I feel like it gives me a very limited amount of space to take my notes. The Mind Map seems like it would be similar to the Flow Method, because again, the information flows in a way that is easy to remember and study from. I did not enjoy the third video, because I think it was unengaging and was not extremely clear about how to utilize the Cornell method. I am looking forward to trying out the Mind Map method in class on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine!
      I agree that the flow method seems useful because it'll be easier to understand while reviewing your notes; it's put in a way that is designed for your brain. i also agree seeing actual notes in the second and third videos made it easier to understand spacing, etc.

      Delete
  2. As someone who uses the flow method of notetaking for math and science, and my own variation of Cornell notes for English and history, it was interesting to see how everyone in the videos had slightly different takes on these notetaking ideas. I did not like the girl in the second and last videos; she spoke so slowly and she wasn’t engaging enough so I felt myself become distracted. The first video was my favorite, although I don’t know or understand what the “street fighter” characters the speaker presented were. I think the video would have been better without those examples because it would be more general and understood by a bigger audience. His notetaking ideas were very well explained, though, and I really like the flow method because it doesn’t hold the user to a strict structure. The third video was okay, because the woman explained it in very simple terms (I’m guessing she is probably a teacher at a middle school?) so it was easy to understand her tutorial on Cornell Notes. Maybe I will begin trying out new ways of taking notes for class to see how effective they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my experience as a student I generally leaned towards a free flowing type of note taking (similar to the outline method) which i think is very effective. Recently though I have been using more and more of the Cornell notes because it was first necessary for history and I've liked it since I've been using it.

    The first video was by far the most engaging one out of the four because of the speed and efficiency in which he delivered the information. The street fighter character metaphors (even though I understood them) were unnecessary and probably only confused people who were unaware.

    The second video was painful to watch; the lady spoke in a painstaking way which made it seem like the three minute video was forty five minutes long. It was also terrible because I already learned this method making the awful lecture pointless.

    The third video was average, I thought the presentation could be better with less attempts at jokes. That being said the visual effects she provided were very effective because they stayed in frame for a long time and showed great correlation between the main ideas and details.

    The final video was pretty much as disastrous as the second one but slightly more bearable because it described a method which I've never used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the way the woman in the second and fourth video spoke. It made it very unappealing to watch unfortunately even though she had valid opinions on the note styles.

      Delete
  4. In my high school career I’ve tried various methods of note taking. I personally like taking bullet points because they’re organized on paper as well as in my mind. The outline method is what I typically use, however I like the flow system because you can show how your mind works through information, making it easier to comprehend when you look over them again to study. I don’t think I could take notes in the full flow format during a lecture; however I think it’s a great way to study. I made my own style of note taking by combining these two methods. I primarily take notes but use things like arrows or colors to show how things are connected.
    The first video was interesting because it talked about all types of note taking instead of just one. I didn’t understand any of the references to characters he made, yet I understand what he was trying to do by making connections with them. The second video seemed longer than it really was, but I’ve used Cornell notes all summer for history work, so maybe that’s why it seemed more boring than the first video. The same goes for the third video. The woman did really well explaining how to take Cornell notes! But I already knew how to take notes like that. The last video explained mind maps better than the first video, and cleared up how to take notes like that. I don’t particularly like mind maps because i wouldn’t really be able to take them while listening to a lecture or reading. I think mind maps can be really helpful when studying for a quiz or test, though.
    Overall I got a lot of helpful info from these videos. In the second video I really liked how the speaker said “if you can’t explain something simply then you don’t understand it”. I fully agree with that statement, I think it’s a good concept to think about while taking/reviewing notes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My version of note-taking is very simple and straight forward. I copy what the teacher has on the board, or what they have said, onto my paper. In some cases I simplify definitions so that they are easier to understand and read. The method I use is very similar to that of the out-lining method, but is a little less organized. Although it may not sound like the most efficient way of taking notes, I find that reading over exactly what has been taught helps me when the information is needed. I felt all videos were informative, but my favorite was the first one. The speaker compared note taking to characters in a video game, which was very interesting and captivating. I found the second and third video about Cornell note taking intriguing because I have never heard of this style before. The basis and structure seemed to be an efficient way to take notes. The summary at the bottom of the page seems helpful, and the speaker of the second video said make your summary “as if you had to explain the topic to a five-year old”. I think is a great way to re-cap the information you just wrote and I hope to try taking notes in this fashion at my next given opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the past my note-taking method was similar to a flow method, although sometimes I would organize more for specific ideas or topics, similar to an outline method. I find this method efficient mainly because it is the one I am most comfortable with and I can look back and find information quickly. I can also see the downfall of it on the other hand because there isn't a lot of structure to it. I found all the videos useful as I have only seen a few specific note taking methods before. I found the first video the most interesting because the speaker was very efficient in getting his point across, especially compared to the second and last video who seemed to make the videos really drag along. I also agree with max that the idea of making a summary "as if you had to explain the topic to a five-year old" is a great way to re-cap and it is also useful when you are having trouble putting your ideas into words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My note taking style throughout my school career has changed constantly. My style stays relevant to the subject. In english, science and history I summarize and reword the teacher and try to put the information into easier terms to remember. An occasional concept map would be thrown in whenever I saw it fit. In Math a class where less thinking for your self occurs and more emphasis is placed on process and formulas I usually outline the teachers notes verbatim from the board. Both of these methods were and still are successful for me because they play to the nature of the class.

    While overall my notes have served me well there is still some points of contention that I hope to resolve. Organization is one of these, however after being introduced to the cornell style of notes I hope to implement them and eliminate the problem. Recently in my history class I tried my own style of cornell notes and so far I have no issues with it and it has helped alleviate the clutter in my notebooks and better organize the information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As like my peers I've experimented with many styles of note taking throughout the years. However style I have stuck with closely resembled to the outline style of notes from the first video, when I write notes I write down the headers of the topic and bullet key information or subtopics each header or main topic. I find it to be the most organized style of note taking. My favorite video was the first one I like how he connected to streetfighter characters however I'm not the biggest fan of street fighter but it made me understand why you choose those characters and the effectiveness of the notes. I found each method to be very helpful and plan to experiment with all, however I've already done Cornell and the outline method. A style I want to try out is the mind map method, this method seemed very organized and simple and I plan to try that out tomorrow in class. Mind map is also good for outside of school information, and since the Junior Prom is coming up I may use it for things I need. I can't wait to try all these new ways of note taking in class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My style of note taking seems to vary between each class I take, but generally the most common style I use could be comparable to the outline method because I write down the main idea first and build on it with more in depth details. This has proven to be the most effective style for me because of how straight forward it is. However, the flow style sounded like an interesting method that might work well for some of my classes. That style of note taking is comparable to the type of notes I take in my science classes; though, they tend to be a bit unorganized and it sometimes makes it hard for me to figure out the order of what I was learning. I have practiced the Cornell structure of note taking in my history class and I also found that to be really helpful because it made it easy to highlight only the really important parts of the lesson and the summary at the bottom is also a great way to tie it all together. The mind map method to me seemed pretty unorganized and I think it would make it more difficult to be able to reiterate what the lesson was all about for a test or quiz. Overall, it would be interesting to try out these new styles and see which ones end up working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be completely honest , I've never put much thought behind my note taking process. There's really no method to the madness , I just write down either whatever is on the board or anything the teacher says that I think sounds important. Although all of the videos gave what could be valuable tid bits on how to stay organized and what not while not taking notes, I don't believe I will put any of those tid bits to use. As I have never found a problem with the way I take notes and I believe it gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My style of note taking is generally outlines, although if a teacher writes on the board I will copy what they've written down, in fear of missing something important. I've always struggled on taking note when it involves the teacher only talking, no visual, I always try to write it word for word and end up missing so much, after watching these videos I think I will stick to outlines for written work, but try the free flow design for verbal classes. Mr. Scott forced us to take Cornell notes over the summer for APUSH work, and it was not really the best style for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My style of note taking is generally outlines, although if a teacher writes on the board I will copy what they've written down, in fear of missing something important. I've always struggled on taking note when it involves the teacher only talking, no visual, I always try to write it word for word and end up missing so much, after watching these videos I think I will stick to outlines for written work, but try the free flow design for verbal classes. Mr. Scott forced us to take Cornell notes over the summer for APUSH work, and it was not really the best style for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Generally, my style of note taking has no rhyme or reason but usually resembles the outline style. For me personally my note taking is very effective and from looking at these videos I'm note sure if any other methods would work as well for me. I did enjoy the first video the most because the man made the video more interesting by referencing street fighters. While I didn't exactly know who they were he told their major traits that connect them to the note taking form which made the forms easier to understand. He also seemed more laid back and not as strictly educational as the other videos seemed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since we are in our junior year of high school I'm surprised I never heard of Cornell notes and the flow method before. I found the first video by the guy the most appealing to me out of the four videos, he spoke at a normal pace and as if I was right in front of him. His production was also very well executed and professionally done. The flow method appealed to me personally as something I want to try. I feels as though all my life my notes have been to have an account of the class, write down everything the teacher goes over even if you know it already. But the flow method is strictly for learning what you don't already know. The outline method is what I've been using for almost every thing since it's become like second nature to me, due to doing it so much. It's easy to study when you can just skim for the headings and read about it in detail underneath the heading you found. The Cornell method surprised me as another one I would like to try. I can see how it makes it sense to study from and how it gives a stronger subject content than the outline method with the summary and the cue column in addition to the notes. The third video was a little repetitive from the second but did clarify better and gave more clear visualize of how to use the Cornell method. I can't wait to try out these new styles and hope I can better my way of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a student I think it is very important to take notes.When I take notes I have always just done bullet points and kept writing until I was done with the information I need to know . I had never given it a second thought on wether or not I should change my note taken. It has always just been habit it to me to just start doing bullet points and writing facts. However now that I have watched the videos I wonder if I try any different style of note taking it could be more beneficial to me. I would like to try more, like for example the Cornell method.I Understand how it would make sense to use as it includes a summery and a cue column along with notes. I would like to take these videos into thought for my very important junior year to become a better student and I hope I can see progress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. For notetaking I usually just do it in my notebook like the free flow method. If the teacher says something important I make sure I jot it down in my notebook. Over the summer for my AP History class I was required to use Cornell note taking. This was my first time using this note taking. After using this style of notes I found it really helpful, it I am going to start using it more. The first video was by far my favorite one. The speaker did a great job by connecting the characters he was talking about to the video, he kept it interesting. Although I thought that all the videos were really informative my least favorites were video two and video four. The speaker of them seemed to drag the video on longer than needed and did not get there point across as well as the other two. I have never actually used the mind map method of notetaking but in the future I think that it could be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought the first video was great: it succinctly described the note-taking methods really well and did so in an entertaining way.

    Personally I don't really have one preference for note-taking. It has differed depending on the class: Sometimes, for subjects such as Science there would usually be slides that I'd copy 1:1 on my paper, and sometimes, I'd basically use the flow method for other classes in which information is delivered primarily verbally.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for considering the note-taking methods so thoughtfully. The reason for each method revolves around organization on information for later use-- methodical review & repetition for learning. Taking notes on what you read & view independent of a teacher is key....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Generally before this class my style of note taking was just using the topic and then putting in information. Almost all of time my notes never really made sense, it was like i had to write down every word in fear i would miss something. Now i see that its is more reasonable to summarize. As for the two new methods personally i like the cornell style better except for the summary because all i seem to do is cut down my notes even more where as i would rather just have the rest of the page to continue my notes. as for he mind map i enjoy how much freedom i have with it, but my mind just doesn't think that way i guess. i enjoyed learning these two new styles because it has really helped me pinpoint where my note taking skill need more work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Generally before this class my style of note taking was just using the topic and then putting in information. Almost all of time my notes never really made sense, it was like i had to write down every word in fear i would miss something. Now i see that its is more reasonable to summarize. As for the two new methods personally i like the cornell style better except for the summary because all i seem to do is cut down my notes even more where as i would rather just have the rest of the page to continue my notes. as for he mind map i enjoy how much freedom i have with it, but my mind just doesn't think that way i guess. i enjoyed learning these two new styles because it has really helped me pinpoint where my note taking skill need more work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always taken notes by outlining, or simply jotting down facts as I read. These never really worked for me but I had no other ideas. These videos definitely helped me get some more ideas that I could try. All summer, I used Cornell Notes for my AP History homework, so I'm used to that style. I don't really Cornell Notes because it's tedious and I don't like the summary because I'm just rephrasing what I already wrote. I think it's a waste of time and paper. That's just my opinion, and I don't hate doing them, it's just not my first choice. I was, however, pretty interested with the Mind Maps. They are so quick, simple, and easy. It's better to connect ideas together and really branch off frm those facts to elaborate on other points. If not done properly, they can get messy, and you can run out of space on your notebook paper. But if you write neatly, and appropriately sized, the Mind Maps can be a great way to take notes. I will absolutely be trying out these different methods in my classes, especially the mind maps. The video was kind of hard to follow because the speakers voice kind of bothered me, and she tried to annunciate too much, but she did explain the maps well.

    ReplyDelete