Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Asher Lev: What does using language have to do with being human?

Language-- of words, of texts, of art, or words, or silence-- is at the center of this novel and at the center of human life.


  • So much of the Hasidic community's culture is given to promote and preserve the Talmud, to sustain religious life and language.
  • People in the novel who speak English also speak Hebrew, Yiddish, Russian, French, and the language of images and symbols.
  • Also, much of the novel's conflicts derive from an inability to express oneself fully, accurately, honestly. Even though use of language is part of what it means to be human, we sometimes struggle to find the right words.


In your comments:
what issues related to language and self-expression has Potok placed before you?
How do you think of your own use of language differently as a result?

24 comments:

  1. An issue related to language in this novel would be the use of jargon when speaking to someone who does not have as much background knowledge of the certain topic. This problem occurs when Aryeh tries to better understand why Asher finds his art so important. Aryeh either has an inability to comprehend the artistic terms that Asher tries to explain, or does not want to try to understand them. Because he does not understand what Asher is saying, he cannot attempt to understand or even come close to accepting Asher's lifestyle. With better communication, Aryeh may have had a better chance of truly understanding his son. Potok reveals that self- expression may not be understood or perceived the right way without communication that gets through to both parties.

    When trying to communicate with someone, I try to find the words that will explain exactly what I want with the least confusion. Staying away from terms that the person may not be familiar with will help the person understand what it is that I am saying. With better communication, people can not only express themselves better, but they can more easily understand what other people are expressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the novel, the use oflanguage planed a large issue for both Asher and his father. Since Aryeh was unable to accept his sons drawing, he was unable to talk with him because he didn't want to try to understand him. Asher also had an inability to express himself through words, so he began to express himself through art. At first, he wanted to "make the world beautiful", but once his mother fell ill, he saw the harshness of the world,and begin to Draw what he felt, which lead to him drawing a crucifixion of his mother to represent her struggles and how he and his father were splitting her attention and feelingdps and putting her in the middle of their disagreement.

    If Asher and Aryeh just had a decent conversation of how they felt, they may have understood each other better, but we will never know.

    At the end, when Asher as banished from the community, his father was upset, which shows that he did care about his son, he just never could express those feelings.

    After reading this novel, I realized that one shouldn't conceale their feelings from others, whether it be a family member, a friend, a co worker, or a loved one, because you never know what could happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aryeh and Asher struggle to communicate with each other because of the language they use as both Ashley and Greg have stated. Aryeh cannot begin to understand Asher's art because of the language barrier of jargon that Asher uses to explain it. This struggle with expression is shown not only through the spoken and written word, but also through Asher's paintings and drawings. Not only does Asher's father not understand the concepts behind art, he does not understand his art as a whole. He just resorts to calling it foolishness because he doesn't understand it, which is something that an incredible amount of people do in real life. Asher also tries to explain that his nude paintings are so much more meaningful than just paintings of naked men or women, but Aryeh can't accept that because of his strong religious ties which seems to be the case for a lot of Asher's art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throughout this novel I feel like there was a lot of words left unsaid. There were a lot of thoughts and feelings held back. Readers could definitely see this through Asher because of course we read it through his point of view but also because he expressed himself through art instead of speaking his feelings. I feel like this was significant in the end when Asher used the crucifix to express the suffering his mom has felt and his understanding of the pain she has gone through but without words exchanged his family only saw the painting which clearly did not settle well with them. Throughout the book we as readers could see how much Asher grew because we knew his thoughts and feelings but I feel like his family saw him differently. Outside of this book silence means a lot too. Sometimes silence can be used as a tactic to make a point more clear. I have had more of an experience with silence in the form of situations I find myself in in which I have no idea what to say. I do not know how to express myself in that moment. Then I always think later about the perfect thing I should have said. I bet we have all done that. It is interesting to see how the use of language or lack thereof makes a huge impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A definite issue related to language is when Asher tries to explain why he loves art so much. HIs father though refuses to understand amd is very against him drawing nude art. HIs father like Ashley has said is either refusing to try to understand his sons love of art or is truley incapable of undertsanding it. Perphaps what Asher is saying with his artistic language is not understanable to those who don't understand arts importance and relevance.

    With my own language I now understand why some people do not see why I love what I love. People i play soccer with might not understand why I put so much time and energy into dance. They might not understand why it is a priority for me to go to dance class rather than hanging out with them. And then the girls i dance with m ight not understand why i love to run even though i have terrible shin splints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potok placed the issue of miscommunication in language to the reader in the novel. I thought the most interesting relationship was between Asher and the Rebbe. While Asher wanted to still be a part of his community and religion, he also could never give up his passion for art. While he felt he should make a good impression on the Rebbe, I think he did it more to get his parents approval. The Rebbe and him communicated on many levels. They both had the same culture and could talk about their religion, and the Rebbe was also very understanding about how passionate Asher was about his art. Although the Rebbe eventually felt that it was too much and he had to choose between the religion and art he did try and give him a friend that he could relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Verbal communication is a huge issue for Asher and Aryeh throughout the entire novel. Aryeh doesn't understand why Asher loves art so much and has to draw all the time and he doesn't understand what Asher is trying to say when he's explaining what art is and why he likes it. Words can only explain and express emotions so far before you just can't find the right words to show the right emotions or help someone understand what something is.

    Usually when I try to explain something, I do struggle with finding the right words to convey what I want the other person to understand and it comes out sounding really awkward most of the time. I think that's mostly because I'm a very visual kind of person. I learn best and understand best when I can physically see an example and that definitely comes across when I try explaining things with just words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lack of communication was a major issue that Aryeh and Asher faced. The two could go weeks, or months without speaking due to their opposing views. Both men held a lot of their feelings back. Instead of just working out their issues they simply stopped communicating. As Mackenzie said, this left a lot of words unsaid. By speaking in Russian, Aryeh could talk to others about Asher's art without Asher knowing what he said.
    After reading this novel I realized that Asher and Aryeh's relationship is similar to mine and my sister's relationship. We fight often and almost always it ends with not talking to each other for a little while. I definitely use silence as a way to make my point clear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silence and wordlessness is something that Potok addresses across all of his novels. I imagine that all of us have had moments of being unable to frame a thought in words, to say how we feel or to just not be able to talk to certain people--temporarily or forever.

    There is a human need to explain oneself, and frustration that comes with being unable to do it...the other frustration comes when someone won't hear us, won't listen, won't accept our words...sometimes, imaginative texts, songs, visual art, movies,can say what we need it to... creative people are channels for those of us who find the words difficult to say.

    See the link between this and Frankenstein?

    Thank you for addressing this question so honestly, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asher and Aryeh struggle to communicate throughtout the novel because they are unable to understand each other or why they do what they do. I think that sometimes what is not said is more powerful than what is because it can mean many different emotions by just being silent.

    I agree with Ashleigh's real life scenario. My sister and I rarely speak to each other and when we do it's not necessarily positive things being said. From the novel however, I realize that we should be nicer to each other instead of just not speaking for days on end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked Mackenzie's point that there were a lot of things left unsaid in this novel. Asher never really got to explain himself to his parents about the crucifixion paintings, and maybe if he had he would not have had to leave. This makes me think about my own use of language. Honestly, I do not say much, and usually I am okay with that. After this novel I realized that I really should say what is on my mind, and my relationships should be better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Mackenzie and Alicia in saying there is a lot left unsaid not only on Asher's part, but Aryeh's as well. Many times Asher's parents don't portal they're feelings, they pray and sing. Silence is an issue in this story and I think prevents Asher and Aryeh from getting along and ultimately ending the bitterness over Asher's art. I feel like everyday there is a situation where you just don't know what to say. But not being able to communicate your true feelings to anyone like Asher would be very difficult and is the reason why his relationships had a sense of disconnect to them

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Mackenzie, Alicia, and Colleen about the magnitude of words left unsaid in this novel. In a favorite song of mine called Kindly Unspoken by Kate Voegele, the lyrics say "Kindly unspoken, you show your emotion, because silence speaks louder than words" which I think can apply to parts of this novel. An understanding issue between Asher and Aryeh is very prevalent because they don't understand the other's point of view completely, nor can they fully express their own in a way that others would be able to understand. It makes me hopeful that with effective communication, people who are supposed to love each other will be able to if not fix their problems, then maybe come to a compromise, or some sort of accepted impasse. I know personally I will have to find a way to explain my thoughts and feelings to others in a way that they would understand to avoid shutting them out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading the novel, Potok makes a point to show the reader that just because two people speak the same language, they do not always communicate. As is the case between Asher and Aryeh where the two do not really communicate well. Aryeh cannot see Asher's obsession with art while Asher struggles with Aryeh rigid Hasidic ways.

    Personally, I think this story is an example of how throughout your life you will need to compromise and give ground to get ground. Just simply using your words and trying to explain may not always work because when the opposing party is so far off of your train of thought, they may not understand or see your reasoning thus to communicate one must give and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The struggle to communicate that Asher and his father face in Potok's novel is one that I feel I've seen many times before in culture, and it is always painful to read or hear about. For a child to derive so entirely from the path that seems destined for them is undeniably painful for a parent, but to not be able to understand it is even harder. Asher tried to explain his feelings to his family in his art, which is the best way he knew how. However, it's kind of like he and his father were not speaking the same language. While the crucifixion piece represented something very emotional to Asher that he thought his family would understand, they thought it was enough to disown their son.

    I've always felt that I struggle to say the right thing. Nine times out of ten, I think I'm saying the right thing, and thirty seconds later I realize that I just put my foot in my mouth. I'm definitely the kind of person who displays their feelings best when they are written down. For example, whenever I get into a really bad fight with someone I'm close to, I usually write them a letter explaining what I'm feeling before I confront them in person. I may not even give them the letter, but being able to write it out and read it to myself has always helped me figure out what I should say.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the issues related to language is that Asher and his father never seem to be on the same page about anything. Asher can’t understand his father and Aryeh can’t understand Asher. One of the issues for me was at the beginning of the book I didn’t know it was about Hasidic Jews so I was pretty confused. I kept thinking like why doesn’t his father want him to draw? Then when I finally realized it was about Hasidic Jews it made a lot more sense to me. Once I understood what their beliefs were I started to feel bad for Aryeh as much as I did for Asher. It is really hard for parents when they don’t understand their children or what nothing that they can share a passion for.
    Personally I use slang way too much. I constantly have abbreviations of nicknames for things or people, but I have realized that it’s not because I’m lazy, it’s just how I’ve grown up. My Nana always has appreciated or had nicknames. When my family talks to each other, outsiders would have no idea what we were saying. It reminds me of what it was like when I started reading My Name is Asher Lev.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The barrier of misunderstanding Potok displays in My Name Is Asher Lev is one that is relevant to most people. The characters in the novel speak so many different languages, yet none can help to convey what they are feeling. Asher and Aryeh, in particular, are victims of this barrier. They can't see eye to eye by means of any type of communication, whether verbal or creative. Asher can't express himself and how he is feeling without displeasing his family and feeling like he is going against his own religion. When he shows his family his paintings, hoping for a change of heart, they can't understand what he is trying to express.

    Especially in art, when someone doesn't understand what you're trying to communicate, or even refuses to try, it is very disheartening. Language is a way to share your ideas, thoughts and emotions; it's how we understand each other. If people refused to listen to me, I'd feel less than human.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also agree with Colleen in saying that Asher's parents do not express themselves in a way that is healthy for communication. Although praying and singing was very important for them and their religion, Asher was looking to be able to express himself to his family but he feels that he can't because he doesn't want to hurt his family or dishonor his religion. Even his paintings, which he so desperately wanted to help with his communication to his parents, couldn't show them what he was trying to express to them. Both of my parents are just as passionate about basketball as I am. Not because they played or anything when they were younger, but because they see how much I love it. I can not even imagine the pain that a character like Asher felt with parents that didn't understand nor support his passion.

    Personally, when I get mad at someone I bottle it inside and then let things build up and then I get to a certain point where everything just comes out at once and things that are completely irrelevant to the current argument come out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Mackenzie about the lack of communication being the focal problem between Asher and his father. When a person struggles to express themselves, like Dr. G said, it makes them feel lonely and misunderstood. Asher and his father, and the rest of his family for that matter, never had the emotional connection to express how they were feeling. In my opinion, there is no language that could have made them see eye to eye, but a lack of emotional connection and understanding of one another that creates the tension between them. That is why I think less is more when communicating with someone who doesn't know me or understand me because they won't every really listen and comprehend the meaning behind what I am saying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As others have said in the posts before mine, communication comprises of more than just spoken words. My Name is Asher Lev, is a perfect example of this. Asher is unable to speak to his father and make him understand the importance of art to him. Even though they both speak the same language and Asher's father understands the words Asher is saying, he still cannot understand the point he is trying to get across to him. This is because communication goes further than words spoken. Asher uses art to communicate his thoughts and feelings. Even if his father does not grasp the importance of art to his son, those paintings are Asher's way of telling all who look at it what is going on inside his head.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1) The book has made me realize that language can be in many different forms, and it's all about how they are intended to be seen as. Some forms of language such as painting are not as obvious for people who do not understand the concept such as Asher's parents and family. The self-expression that Asher used in his painting was the way he could say the things he wanted to without having his parents fear for him or question him even though they did anyway because of the painting and them not understanding any of it.
    2) As a hip hop lyricist and emcee, I've always used self-espression to say what I needed to say but in a way that maybe not everybody could understand, but it made sense to me and that was all that really mattered. Reading My Name is Asher Lev just showed me that although I may be scrutinized for what I do and it may hurt others, it's something I will always continue to do for my own sake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As many others before stated, one of the biggest issues related to language and communication is between Asher and his father. Yes, there are words left unspoken and uninterpreted, but I do not entirely believe that it was inability to understand, but an unwillingness to try. And that stemmed from Asher's own struggle to express his feelings so openly with his father. He's able to do it somewhat with his mother, telling her early on that one of the reasons he stopped drawing was because it was from Stalin's side.
    I often feel that I have a pretty good grasp on language for someone of my age level. Most of the time I don't have a problem saying what I need to say, but I do struggle with self expression when it comes to more, let's say important, issues.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Our use of language isn't a unique trait that only humans have. It is the complexity of our languages that sets humans apart from the rest of the world. The intricacy that comes with human communication is the reason we took over the world, yet on a small scale, sometimes even though there are so many words to choose from, it seems impossible to choose the right ones. This is the conflict that arises fairly early on in the novel between Asher and his father. Asher and his father never really understood eachother no matter what was said or drawn. Certain people in life will never comprehend certain ideals and concepts whether they be art or religion.

    ReplyDelete