Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

WORK

In your comments, please respond to the essential question for Chapter 5 for Monday's class:

How does our work shape or influence our lives?

You might think about:
  • what you learned in your search of The Bureau of Labor Statistics on Wednesday;
  • the Dream job Pathfinder on the Pages section of the blog;
  • your current work experience;
  • what you have learned about work in history;
  • the workers you see around you;
  • what a "work ethic" is;
  • people's perceptions of certain jobs/occupations; and
  • what your dreams and plans for work include at this time.

Feel free to ask questions about work, too. What do you wonder about?

40 comments:

  1. Working shapes and influences lives in many ways. By having an idea of what occupation a person wants, they will then choose what classes they want to take in high school and what college they want to go to, in order to advance their career. People often think that if they just say they are going to do something then it will automatically happen. However, that is not the case because steps and planning need to be taken to accomplish this. Work ethic is how much effort one puts into their job on a daily basis.
    I currently work now, and I know that by having this job it inspires me to go even beyond this. I do not plan on working at Trucchi’s the rest of my life. I think that some people work there because they didn’t push themselves to go further or just assumed that they couldn’t. They are not happy by working there but they need the money. I would not want to dread going to work every day for the rest of my life, so by having a strong work ethic it will help to push you farther.
    My dream job would be to work on Rolling Stone magazine. I plan on being a journalist; however, working for a magazine getting to interview famous musicians would be a very exciting job. My plans to focus on this career, even just journalism, would be to go to college and major in journalism and communications. By going to a school that offers an internship I could get an internship at a magazine to start my career. Having a job that makes less money but I actually enjoy is far more important to me than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work is generally an occupation that we practice everyday. According to many of the websites from the pathfinder websites, the highest paying jobs are technology based, which reall shows how advanced this world is becomoing. Work should be something that we enjoy, something that we dont necessarily dread and somewhat look forward to. Now-a-days there are many more options than there have been in the past, and many more opportunites than our history of work. A work ethic i believe is working as hard as one possibly can, working as something they adore and want to continue to practice as long as they're allowed. Some people consider some occupations useless, or demeaning or unqualified, but no one really knows what happens behind the scenes and how hard these people are working at this job that they enjoy, and take a lot of pride in. My dream job right now would probably be maybe a preformer, and if not successful, then working with deaf kids would be an honor of mine. I would like to possibly do therapy with deaf kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our work shapes our lives because besides the fact that work gives us money and we need that to thrive and live, it provides us with a sense of pride in our lives. Work shapes our lives in that you should be happy in what you do everyday as well as earn enough money to provide for yourself and your family if need be. You get a sense a pride by helping people or gaining publicity or gives us a sense of lack of pride with the dissatisfaction of your actions performed in your job atmosphere that influence the way we act. For example, helping people in the medical field are not only the highest paying but rated the best job for young people according to forbes.com , which are probably some of the most rewarding jobs in the way that you help people every day and earn lots of money while doing it. As well as being high paid and rewarding is that the jobs are generally stable and availability is on the rise, according to www.msnbc.msn.com.
    My dream job would be a full time professional Olympic swimmer, as well as working in Public Relations for a top notch company. My current work experience is coaching little kids three times a week and lifeguarding in the summer. I can already feel the pressure of pleasing the “customers” you are serving even when I don’t have all that of an important job that is time consuming with lots of hours. The workers I’ve seen are almost always very involved with their job and try to do their best in whatever they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our work shapes our lives because it reflects how much time will go towards your family life. It also reflects how much debt you will be in and how long until you actually breach the debt. Your job could also influence your morals and how much money really does matter. Your employement could also impact others or no one at all. I would personally like to be a psychologist or a councelor/therapist. My main reason behind this is I would like to help people and assist them through their troubles in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not yet quite sure of what I want to do but I have some ideas.
    Being a counselor of some kind interests me and I would like to work with troubled kids. I currently do not have a job but I am looking for one. I have never had a real job either. Many kids I know just have simple low-wage jobs that they do on the weekends. Work ethic is the morals and attitude that you bring to your job, and how it affects you. Some people have perceptions of jobs with lower wages as the workers being unhappy and poor when actually a lot of the time, they are happier than a person that makes a million dollars a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Work is extremely influential on our lives, in the sense that it kind of defines who we are in society. A person's occupation, or lack thereof, is almost always tied to their name. Today, especially in our economy, your job can make or break you. Many of the "best jobs" listed by U.S. News were science or technology related, which makes sense because those are fields that are growing every day. It seems that many jobs are qualified as the "best" if the salary is considerably high. Most of the people I know that currently work are dissatisfied with their job because of their pay. I've known for a long time that I want to be a reporter or an anchor for a television station, and I'm fully committed to taking the steps to get there. However, from my research of The Bureau of Labor Statistics, I know that I will most likely struggle financially. The average pay for reporters in 2010, according to the BLS, was $36,000/year. However, I also know that it is a career that I will be able to work my way up in, and hopefully someday make more money. I don't want to struggle, but I also want to do something that will make me happy. I honestly cannot picture myself doing anything else. I think work ethic is really important, as well. If you're diligent about your work and you do your best, I think you will be successful sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Work influences our life in many ways. It influences the way we think, our happiness, and our social status. Work influences the decisions we make in our life. Like Colleen said, work also gives us a sense of pride in addition to the money we need to take care of ourselves and families. For some people work gives them a purpose in life and goals to strive for. My dream job would be to be a preschool or kindergarten teacher and work with young children. Although I would not make as much money as some other jobs, it would be a job I would enjoy and would I would be happy to go to work each day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Work influences our life in many ways. It influences the way we think, our happiness, and our social status. Work influences the decisions we make in our life. Like Colleen said, work also gives us a sense of pride in addition to the money we need to take care of ourselves and families. For some people work gives them a purpose in life and goals to strive for. My dream job would be to be a preschool or kindergarten teacher and work with young children. Although I would not make as much money as some other jobs, it would be a job I would enjoy and would I would be happy to go to work each day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now I have a job, but I don't know exactly what I want to do for an occupation.An occupation shapes the life for the family, both financially and the interests of the family. My dad works in finance and my mom in human resources and I know a lot about both, and possibly inspire to work in the finance field for my career. However, I think that an occupation affects a family a lot more than just a job. I have a job at Dunkin Donuts and I wouldn't say it has changed me significantly as a person. I would say that jobs make people far more independent. I am much more independent financially, and at work I don't have anyone I can depend on. They see me as an employee, an adult. They don't know my parents or my life so I have to prove myself as a hardworker. Working at Dunkin Donuts you see a lot in the employees and the customers. When I see old bitter women I work with, it literally motivates me to work hard so I never have to be like that when I am older. Also, customers are so rude to us employees, as if we are stupid for working there and they are so much better than us. Work is hard and it gives thick skin and independence, but I think teenagers should all have jobs to learn responsibility, hard work, and to break away from their parents and have independence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Work influences our lives in more ways than one. Not only does our work dictate what certain aspects of our lives will be like financially, it also gives us the chance to mature and develop a sense of independence. My current work experience has definitely given me more of a sense of independence and I really like making money for myself. The only thing I don't like is dealing with very rude people. My dream job would be to own my own cupcake and specialty cake bakery. Baking is always something I've enjoyed and I would love to do it as a profession.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Work has a huge impact on our lives. As Gina said, it can help to shape a family. The more someone likes a job, the happier they will be. Also, it is important to get a good paying job so that you can support yourself and your family. As of right now I do not have a job, but many of my friends have part time jobs and they always complain about working. This just motivates me to do well in school so I can have a chance to get a job that I will enjoy doing. Right now I am thinking about going to school to become a lawyer. Work ethic is how much effort you put into your job as well as how organized you are. Attitude also is a big factor in work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Amanda stated, knowing what we want to do early is important because it allows us to take classes in high school that allow us to see what the field is like. There are also summer camps designed to be like a certain job to give students a hands on experience in that field.

    Work ethic is how the person does their job and how determined they are to do that job. Hard work and determination so good work ethic because a perosn is doing the job and is doing it well.

    In today's society it is known that one needs a job to have luxeries, such as a home, a car, running water, etc. However, there are people without jobs and people who hate their job but stay with it just for they money. People should not take a job just for the money. That is only a part of it. The other part is having fun and showing good work ethic.

    My dream job is to work for the CSI. I have had this goal for about 4 years now and have been working hard to see what it is like. Over the summer, I attended a CSI camp which took the students through a "murder investigation" from the "murder" to the verdict. This experience provided students with a first hand account of what the job would be like. I have also read about the job and plan on taking law in school next year to add to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I as well as others have a job right now. I work every weekend as a babysitter, i require work ethic with this job. I either have to babysit four boys which reqiures a lot of reliability on my part as well as initiative. Also when i have to babysit this other family of two girls i need to be able to be trusted to stop them from fighting and argueing.
    My dream job would be working in the NICU not only because my mother works as a nurse at tufts in the NICU but also because i would be helping these poor babies. My mom gets to see miracles happen every week but on the other hand she sees many yragedies but thats what makes her strong and intelligent. Being a nurse would be tough but i'm willing to work towards it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the research today it seems that as there is a need for something jobs in that field will grow. In the future I plan on becoming a biomedical engineer. The department of labor statistics said “The aging baby-boom generation is expected to increase demand for biomedical devices and procedures, such as hip and knee replacements, because this generation seeks to maintain its healthy and active lifestyle.” Bls.org also reports that from 2010 and 2020 the percent change in employment will be 62%.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To me, having a work ethic is being passionate about the work you are doing, and therefore doing a better job. Any job where I can help other people would be a job in which I feel like I would have a good work ethic. My current job as a lifeguard at the local YMCA is all about helping people. From keeping them safe in and near the pools to assisting disabled people and answering questions for others, being able to work well with people is an important part of my job. A good work ethic at my job allows me to do my job to my fullest potential.

    Like Haylee, I am also planning on searching for a career in a field where future situations will cause the number of jobs in the field to grow. I plan on going into Engineering also, either chemical or biomedical. I would like to work in a lab helping to design nano-particles that target cancer cells when inserted into the bloodstream during chemotherapy, but leave regular, healthy cells untouched.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Working shapes our lives and the people we are in many ways. As stated before, having an idea of what career you want to go into allows you to prepare in high school and then in college.
    In order to be successful and follow this career I think one needs to have a good work ethic. A good work ethic means one is motivated and puts a solid effort into their work. I liked what Jami said that "Today, especially in our economy, your job can make or break you". I want to go into something with the medical field like nursing. I would like to follow this dream job because it interests me and because I know it is a well paying job. I would not want to have a job I dreaded going to everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not have a job yet and as a student still I know that when I get one it will probably be tedious work that no one else wants to do. I will definitely try and make that job as fun as possible because I will have to do it no matter what so why not be happy. That is my motto for when I am young and have random jobs just to get extra money. When I am older I want a job that I love no matter what. I know that is easier said than done but work really does shape our lives in many ways. Work can be extremely stressful and effect your relationships, family life, and attitudes in negative ways. Or work can be interesting and entertaining in which it effects those areas in positive ways. That is my ultimate goal in life because you only live once and I definitely am not going to spend my time doing something that effects my whole day negatively not just those hours I am working.
    A good work ethic is extrememly important. This involves a person being prepared, enthusiastic, encouraging, supportive, hard working, and dedicated to any task put in front of him/her.
    I honestly do not know what I want to do with my life right now. I am setting no limits for myself though, I know that whatever I choose eventually I will be able to be. My dream job I think would be to be a physical trainer or a scout for a sports team.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I currently do have a job and it is now a big part of my life. This is my first job and I work about three or four days a week. I very much enjoy the extra money and it helps because I'm saving for a car. During the summer, I'm hoping to have two. Working gives me a greater sense of responsibility and independence, which is nice. I dont think many people perceive dairy queen as a terrible job, especially as a first job. I hope to be able to go to school and her a job where I don't make minimum wage, preferably in the feild of law, psychology, or engineering. My dream job would be to be an actress on Broadway or Hollywood or to be a musician who could tour the world, but I know that those are not financially viable options and I'll just go to school and get a sensible job instead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although I was not in class for the discussion about work, a person's occupation shapes their entire life. In most cases your job is tired to your income, which may inturn be tied to your social status. Also work will influence the people you associate with as I know many adults have friends from their jobs. As much as we commit ourselves to a judgement free society, a person's job definitely influences the perception they recieve. Just like race or religion, jobs have stereotypes. Lawyers are quick talking intellects, car dealers are decievers and will do anything to make a buck, while politicians are liars who say what the public wants to hear. Although not all true, the stereotypes do exist and in some cases hold some truth to them.

    Currently, I work as a busboy and also a camp counselor in the summer. I believe it is important to start working at a young age to begin to develop work ethic and responsibility, not just as a person, but also with your money.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do not have a job during the school year, but over the summer I work as a lifeguard. Honestly my job does not even seem like work to me because I have a great time doing it. I get to teach little kids how to swim, be in the sun all day, have fun on the rescue board, and swim on my breaks. I know I can't be a lifeguard forever though, so my ultimate dream job would be to be the athletic trainer for the Boston Celtics. Most athletic trainers do not get paid a lot though, so I might be going to school for physical therapy which makes a lot more money. I know it is going to be a lot of work though because physical therapists are now required to have a doctorate degree in order to practice. I am going to have a good work ethic though and work hard so that I can succeed in what I do. I am not one to let challenges or adversity stand in my way, and that is part of my work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not have job during the school year, but every summer since 8th grade I have worked for my uncles landscaping company. Working these summers has given me a good work ethic because I am given tangible goal that I need to get done, I have learned to manage my time effectively in order to get the job done. Doing such laborous work has also made me realize that I don't want to do this for the rest of my life and that I need to do well in school if I want to get a more enjoyable job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "What you do defines who you are." "No, Uncle Teddy, it's who you are that defines what you do."-Across The Universe
    In a perfect world, the latter statement is how the topic of work would be seen by all. But that's not always the case. For some people work is simply to get money and get financial standing that will allow them to live a better life. For others, work is genuinely something that they love to do and get excited about.
    I know that I have no job experience, but I hope that when I find a job that I won't dread going to it like some of my peers.
    What a work ethic is to me is working the hardest that you in order to be successful. It means being honest even if you mess up. Preparation and organization are also large accouinting factors to having a good or a strong work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In our lives today work is very important. No matter where you rank in the business there is always the chance of someone losing their job. From the workers all the way up to the boss, each and every member is important to keep the business running. As of right now, I do not have a job. However I have been looking for a job to keep me busy during the summer. To me, it is important to have a job so I have money to do things that I want to do. I hate asking my parents for money and I like the aspect of being able to do things for myself. Although my parents do not want me to get a job because they say "you're going to work for the rest of your life so have fun while your young". I do agree with them that yes, I am going to work for the rest of my life but I like having that sense of independence. Also all of my friends that work, all tell me to never get a job because it takes up so much of their time they wish they never did it. One question I have is, How do you leave a job that you don't like but pays the bills, to a job that you do what you love but it is hard get by?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Work shapes and influences our lives by defining who we are. Generally, as awful as it sounds, when someone says they are a doctor or a lawyer, we assume they are smart and rich and gain society's respect whereas a garbage collector or a McDonald's worker would not be thought of as rich or smart and not have as much respect from society. Also, when you have a job you have money which gives you responsibility and independence. Last, if you have a job or an occupation you love, it probably doesn't feel like "work" because you get to be able to do what you love everyday and get paid for it. I think an occupation would only be "work" if you absolutely dread going there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Work influences our lives because the work that we do in school and at our jobs shows our work ethic, and how hard we will work in life. The type of job we have and the type of work we do shows what we think about ourselves as a person because it reflects how hard we have worked. A job gives a person responsibility and independence because they can support themselves and balance work with the other things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Work shapes and influences our lives in many different ways. Doing work prepares you for your future and helps you set goals in your life. Work reflects your motivation skills and shows how hard you are willing to work to reach towards your dreams, or your dream jobs. I imagine that having a dream job would make you much happier. It would influence your life in a positive way. It would have that person wake up with a smile on their face and enjoy life. If you do work that you hate doing, it would have a negative influence.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wouldnt consider working at trucchis much work experiance, but its some. Working there is just insanely boring. It's the same thing day after day, bute its really easy. I feel like working makes people have a greater capacity for getting things done. working has givin me a new work ethic towards schol and other aspects of life. My dream job would be technologically related, most likely computer programming. I found that the salary has increased around $20,000 since I last checked to $98,000.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Work gives people responsibility and maturity. It also alows independence for people. People can learn how to maage their time and set goals by working. Work ethic is how hard someone works. By looking at The Bureau of Labor Statistics I was able to see what the most popular jobs are and how much they are paid. Work prepares people for the future and the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ever since i can remember ive always went in with my dad as a plasterer on the weekends and vacations whenever i am able to spare a few hours for the day. This has changed my work ethic because through these experiences i have seen the way different people live from rags to riches. Ive learned that for no matter who you are working for you must strive to put out your best. They could then recommend you to their friend that needs work and so on and so on. From putting these hours in I know that i do not want to do this for the rest of my life. The work is physically enduring and the pay can change from job to job.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Work shapes and influences our lives and we see this everyday. Our work ethic and the style in which we complete work and finish work efficiently is the key. If someone has good work ethic they get work done quickly and efficiently. Work ethic can be found within school for students as well as work for people with jobs. We can also use work ethic to reach personal goals.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Without work, most people wouldn't have anything to aspire for. Getting a better job and thereby a better lifestyle is something many people want, and in order to reach that goal, people work harder and try their best. Work can also be a reflection of a person. As Alex said, doctors are typically assumed to be more intelligent than someone that works at a fast food restaurant. People judge each other based on the jobs they have.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Work shapesoviding lives by providing people with a situation in which they can actively practice certain skills. I do not work as of now, but I am interested in a career in a field such as biotechnology. It is important for workers to at the very least hold some sort of interest for their careers. If someone despises their job, then it will make them more stressed than they need to be and have a more negative impact on their lives rather than teaching them important skills that they will enjoy using.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think, in general, that work is work when someone is displeased with their job. Most people would rather not be doing what they do for work in their own free time but that is why people get paid to do it. A fortunate few truely enjoy aand look forward to getting up every morning and i suppose that is the goal in finding a job. I work in a Hospital kitchen. I wouldn't show up and help out there if i wasn't getting paid to do it, but that is why I get paid. I'm not sure what i would choose to do with my life if i had it my way, but i would truely just be happy with making enough money to live my life with compfert. Making enough money to enjoy life is my goal; if i enjoy myself while i'm making money that is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Work influences different aspects of our lives. It obviously influences social class and what activities and hobbies that a person may have.I personally work at Dairy Queen and since i've started working there two years ago I noticed i was able to do a lot more things with my friends than i was before. I could go out to eat with them and go shopping without having to fell guilty about borrowing money from my parents. Also i think that having a certain job can influece the way other people think of you, with certain jobs comes certain expectations. Personally when i think of a lawyer i think they have to be a very serious person and all business but in most cases that probably isn't true. I want to pursue a career in the field of marine biology. In order to do this i will have to have a great work ethic. To me a work ethic is being dedicated, well organized, and persistent. The closest job to this on the Dreamjob Pathfinder was a wildlife biologist and the salary is about $60,000 which isn't very high but i'm willing to settle for a lower salary if i'm having more fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Today, people are judged by the job he or she has. The type of profession a person has is one of the many things that people judge others by. People, in most cases will either earn or lose respect from people by the type of work they do.
    Work ethic are good qualities that are necessary at a job such as hard work. these qualities are useful for building character.
    I hope to become a nurse anesthetist. A nurse anesthetist is a nurse who specializes in the administration of anesthesia during surgeries. As far as I know, you must complete four years of nursing with at least a year of on the job training and involvement. Then after that, you must then go for two more years to specialize. I am not positive of were I want to go to college but I'm currently looking around for good nursing programs

    ReplyDelete
  36. Work has a huge influence on our lives. People go to work to get money to survive and have a good lifestyle. My current job at a horse stable isn't very glamorous and doesn't pay much, but I love it. I love the people I work with, my employers and the horses. My job has taught me that while the main goal of a job is to make money, you won't appreciate it unless you love your job. Everyone has a dream job and they have an idea of something they want to do but sometimes its unrealistic. For example people who want to be a rockstar or something, they want to follow their dreams but the chance that they will actually become famous is very slim. Sometimes people have to give up their dreams and find something else they love that will pay the bills. I'm not quite sure what I want to do in life but I'm thinking about being a psychologist for the military. Looking at The Bureau of Labor Statistics I realized that it's not going to be easy to become one, and that I'm probably going to need a lot of schooling, but in the end I think it will be worth it because I will be doing something I love.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with many of the comments above that jobs have an immense impact on people's lives. Even now, as high schoolers mainly just have part time jobs they still have an influence on our lives. They force you at a young age to gain responsibility; no one else is going to do your job for you. Also, taking the iniciative to get a job as a teenager shows that you see the importance of independence and it makes the fact that you will inevitably need to break away from your parents and support yourself a harsher reality. I don't currently have a job but i work as a lifeguard in the summer and that has taught me many lessons in responsibility. As difficult as it may be at times to be committed to a job, I enjoy knowing that I am earning my own money and working hard to get it. I may not know right now what i want to do for an actual occupation, but whatever I choose I will make sure to put a lot of time and effort into deciding what it is I want to do. An occupation is life changing. It impacts the lifestyle you live, and it affects not only you but your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I work at the Jabez Howland House in plymouth over the summer and i have to say i love my job. During the tours i get to learn alot about the people on it; i have met people from France, Germany, and many more from different states. This job is hopefully going to be a steping stone for my future jobs or careers. I enjoy going to work and even miss going to work during the school year. This great experience with wanting to go to work and being content with my pay will hopefully carry through my whole life. My happiness in a job will out weigh the low pay for me. I dont think i could get out of bed every morning to go to a job i hated, i can barely get out of be for school
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  39. Work has a heavy influence on peoples lives because without work, most people are not able to live their lives how they want to live. I myself do not have a job yet, but I know from the people around me that work depend on their jobs to be able to do half of the things that they do. For example, a lot of my friends get their nails done biweekly, and that is because they have jobs that can pay for it. Work ethic is something that not all people have. I think work ethic is being dependable, hard working, and good at what you are doing. My personal dreams for work are to find a job that I can be happy doing and that will enable me to support a family.

    ReplyDelete